UPDATE: I have pushed release 32 to fix a crash in release 31 on certain non-English language devices (thanks to Shake for helping me confirm the problem and fix). I’ve updated the links below to reflect this.
- Two new execution engines, exophase JIT for ARM devices and DeSmuME JIT for x86 devices. Please note that currently these engines are HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL — use at your own risk!
- Fixed a bug where ARMv6 and x86 builds didn’t include the tinycc JIT engine
- Minor performance enhancements
Okay, so, everyone take a deep breath. This release does contain the exophase JIT — I spent a lot of time learning exactly how it works and was able to fix the problems I’d talked about on the forums. However, overall it’s pretty unstable still and should be considered an experimental feature. Not all games work on it — and some games just stop working unexpectedly half way through. Furthermore, the program will sometimes freeze up when switching your execution engine from one of the old engines to the exophase JIT. I will work more on fixing these, but I wanted to get this release out so people could start fiddling with it. But again, use it carefully, be sure you have a game state saved before using it or risk losing all your progress!
Also included in this build is the ARM -> x86 JIT from the latest DeSmuME release. I only tested this on the emulator since I don’t have a real Android x86 device, so anyone who has one let me know how it performs.
Finally, thought I’d share some stats with you guys regarding nds4droid that I found interesting. These all come from the statistics provided to me automatically by the Google Play store, so they don’t account for sideloaded (direct APK) installs.
- As of May 9, 2013, nds4droid has been installed by 2,300,397 users
- Of these, 395,068 are “active” installs
- 38% of active installs are on 4.1 Jellybean, 30% are on Ice Cream Sandwich, 19% are on Gingerbread, and 10% are on 4.2 Jellybean
- The most popular device is the Galaxy S3 with 6.9% of active installs. The second most popular device is the Nexus 7 with 5.8% of active installs
- The most popular country is the United States, with 30% of active installs. South Korea is in second with 16%
- The most popular wireless carrier is Verizon Wireless at 6.36% of active installs. SK Telecom is second with 6.07%
- A list of a user’s Android version and the average rating they give nds4droid on Google Play: Jellybean 4.2 — 4.3, Jellybean 4.1 — 4.29, Ice Cream Sandwich — 4.09, Gingerbread — 3.69
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.